Healthy signs as Virgin adds more routes
Virgin Blue has announced two new routes between the Gold Coast, Melbourne and Canberra and will also expand flights on existing routes.
After the initial body-blow to airfare discounting caused by the collapse of Ansett, competition is recovering. InfoChoice believes it is significant that Virgin Blue is now the country's number two airline and has committed to maintaining its dual fare structure, ie. non-refundable low fares and flexible full economy fares. Meanwhile, Ansett looks like surviving along the same lines as a low-cost, low-fare carrier.
Here are the details of Virgin's new and expanded services – with taxes included. Virgin will:
- Offer a new direct daily service between the Gold Coast and Melbourne from December 13. One-way fares from $136.72, Fully Flexible fare of $306.72 one-way.
- Offer a new direct service between Melbourne and Canberra from November 30. There is a special launch offer of $50 for 50 seats ($61.82 incl taxes) on every flight for the first 15 days(book by 6 Nov for travel from 30 Nov to 14 Dec). The direct daily service will increase to two daily services early next year. One-way fares will start from $88.82 discount and $190.82 Fully Flexible.
- Double Sydney-Gold Coast services with a second daily flight. Virgin Blue will continue with its current every day low fares from the Gold Coast to sydney starting from around $89 one-way including taxes (around $92 the other way).
- Double the soon-to-be-introduced Melbourne-Launceston service from one return flight a day to two direct flights a day from December 1 with a third daily flight being scheduled during the holiday peaks.
- Increase flights on existing routes to help meet the demand :
Melbourne-Sydney to 8 daily in November and 9 daily from December 13, up from 7
Melbourne-Adelaide to 4 convenient daily returns from October 29, up from 3
Brisbane-Sydney to 9 daily from 26 December, up from 8.
- Improved schedules on the twice-daily Brisbane-Townsville service as well as an improvement in the Mackay schedule that allows tourists to access the Whitsunday Region at a convenient time of day.
Compare the fares available among the three airlines with our Fare Selector